ASM Frank Fenner Award
The purpose of this award is to recognise distinguished contributions in any area of Australian research in microbiology by scientists in a formative stage of their career, rather than to reward senior scientists for a lifetime of achievement. Two awards will be given each year.
- have been a member of the society in any category for at least two years and must currently be a MASM or FASM
- have been engaged in research at postdoctoral level or equivalent for less than or equal to fifteen years or the equivalent of less than or equal to fifteen years of fulltime research since acquiring their postdoctoral degree in cases of significant career interruption on the closing date of the year of application.
- Demonstrated active participation in ASM affairs at National or local branch level or in promoting the interests of the Society to the Australian or international community.
Applications must include:
- a curriculum vitae (including alist of publications)
- a one page summary of contribution to research in Microbiology
- a brief statement addressing the essential and desirable selection criteria
- the names and addresses (including email addresses) of two (2) referees
Conditions of the Award
Applicants need to show that their area of research excellence was work done substantially in Australia or, for those applicants recently returned from overseas, is ongoing work in Australia that will enhance the nation's international reputation in microbiology.
The recipient is required to present the Fenner Lecture at the ASM Annual Scientific Meeting.
Two awards will be made each year based on merit. The award committee will consist of the ASM President, Immediate Past President, President Elect,NSAC Chair and Scientific Advisors.
The award consists of:
- a plaque given at the ASM Awards Ceremony at the Annual Scientific Meeting
- a $1,000 cash prize
- full ASM Annual Scientific Meeting registration
- return economy flights
- up to 3 nights accommodation
- 20 minutes speaking slot (including questions) at the current year's Annual Scientific Meeting
Download an application form here
Applications should be sent to the National Office Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Closing Date for applications: March 31st of any year
Acknowledgement: An acknowledgement will be emailed within 5 business days of receiving your application - if this has not been received, please contact the ASM National Office - Tel: 1300 656 423
Previous Award Winners
Catherine Satzke, VIC
Hayley Newton, VIC
Scott Beatson, QLD
Kate Seib, QLD
Linda Blackall &