The ASM National Council manages the Society, determines its direction, and monitors its activities against its objectives.
Download the 2017 ASM Annual General Meeting Minutes
The Society requires each member:
- to promote the aims of Society;
- to behave in such a way as to bring credit to the profession of microbiology;
- to use all proper means to maintain the standards of the profession;
- to respect any confidence gained in the conduct of the profession;
- to ensure that public statements are fair and objective;
- not to engage in microbiological practices restricted by law or professional agreement;
- to avoid unwarranted statements that reflect upon the character or integrity of other members of the profession;
- to recognise the responsibility to subordinates in terms of professional guidance and dissemination of information;
- to maintain professional competence by keeping abreast of new information and developments;
- to support fellow members who find themselves in difficulties on account of their adherence to this Code, and the Society in its efforts to protect them;
- to recognise responsibility to the community and the environment in protecting each from exposure to undue actual or potential microbiological hazards;
- not to engage knowingly in research for the production or promotion of biological warfare agents;
The ASM also endorses the IUMS Code of Ethics against Misuse of Scientific Knowledge, Research and Resources.
ASM Equality and Diversity Policy
The ASM is committed to the promotion of diversity and equality in the discipline of Microbiology. The Society works to ensure that Equality and Diversity issues are considered in all its activities, including committee membership and scientific meetings. This includes ensuring appropriate inclusion of all genders, early career researchers and representatives from different states and institutions across Australia. From 2016, We will collate year by year data to track and measure our progress in ensuring equal gender representation at our annual meetings.